Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Fruit and Veggie Smoothie

It sure is fun cooking comfort foods that are high in fat and calories and heavy in butter and cheese but it can be just as fun and delicious to make nutrient rich foods that are easy on your waistline, super fast and delicious. I like to make smoothies for breakfast or even a quick nutritious snack. My husband is very health conscious and I try to be as well so he enjoys the fact that I can make him really healthy food that doesn't taste like health food.

This smoothie is one of my favorites and most of the fresh ingredients can be frozen ahead of time so that you can have it ready any time you have a craving for something sweet. This smoothie has some of my favorite fruits and berries as well as kale and spinach which add a ton of nutrients while their subtle flavor is completely hidden behind the huge flavor punch of the yummy fruit. I sometimes like to add protein in the form of egg whites or pea protein powder. (Yes that is pea as in two pea's in a pod)

Let's talk a little bit more about kale. This super green and gorgeous cruciferous  vegetable is packed to the brim with antioxidant rich vitamins A, C and K! Adding antioxidant rich foods to your diet on a daily basis can help reduce your risk of cancer. So many of the foods that we consume do just the opposite and are so full of carcinogens so it is great to fill your plate or in this case your smoothie with cancer fighting ingredients! I will have many more preparations of my favorite veggie in blogs to come so keep your eyes pealed. 


Let's get blending! 

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup strawberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/2 cup mangos (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 cup fresh spinach
  • 1 cup fresh kale removed from stem and washed
  • 1 to 2 cups almond milk (or any milk you have on hand)
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I prefer vanilla)
  • 1 T. honey or to taste
  • a handful of ice


  1. Get out your favorite blender and start layering the ingredients. I like to start with the wet ingredients and go from there pulsing a little as I go. Make sure that you replace the lid and securing each time BEFORE turning on the blender. I know it's not rocket science but I don't want to be responsible for a fruit and veggie explosion. 
  2. Keep adding the ingredients and blend until you reach your desired consistency. If you like it a little sweeter you can add honey and if not omit that ingredient. 
  3. If the smoothie is too thick add a little more milk and if it is too thin add more ice. 
  4. Fill up to four glasses with this recipe and enjoy! 
Of course any fruit combo will work and you can adjust the amounts to your serving requirement. This amount is perfect for my little family of four! It is o much fun coming up with smoothie recipes and this sure beats the super sugary and expensive smoothies you see popping up on fast food menus. This is so fast and so delicious! Enjoy!


Food is love and I love food! 

XOXO, Aimee 






No comments:

Post a Comment