Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Chicken and Dumplings


Some days you just need a super comforting meal and this is perfect! I made this last night and it was a big hit with my 2 year old, it's the first thing he woke up talking about this morning. I always make my biscuits from scratch but for this recipe I took some help from a boxed biscuit mix since I was in a hurry but feel free to use your own biscuit recipe or stay tuned because I am sure I will post my favorite one soon.

Ingredients:

2 T. Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
3 Carrots, peeled and chopped
3 Celery Stalks, chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 lb. Andouille Sausage, diced
1 lb. Chicken Breast, cubed
2 T. Garlic Powder
2 T. Old Bay or Cajun Seasoning
1/4 cup Flour
1 cup White Wine
1 cup Milk
4 cups Chicken Stock
Salt and Pepper to taste

Dumplings: Prepare biscuit mix according to package instructions and add 1 T. Paprika, 1 T. Parsley, 1 T. Garlic  Powder into the dry ingredients before adding the milk. Set aside until needed.

Heat olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until tender. Add the sausage, minced garlic and chicken and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through. 

Mix the flour, Cajun seasoning and garlic powder together.

Add the flour mixture, stir thoroughly and cook for a minute or so. Pour in the wine to deglaze the pan trying to get all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan then add the chicken stock and return to a simmer. Temper the milk by ladling a small amount of the simmering liquid from the pan to the milk then incorporate it into the mixture.

Drop the dumplings by spoonful into the pot depending on your preference of size making sure not to let each dumpling touch.  I make each dumpling about the size of a golf ball. Lower the heat to medium-low and cover. Do not remove the lid in order to allow the dumplings to steam. Leave the lid on and continue cooking for about 30 minutes. 

I hope you love this super easy and comforting meal as much as we did. 

Food is Love and I Love Food!

Xoxo, 

Aimee

No comments:

Post a Comment